Wednesday 22 June 2016

Barbican Library

Barbican Library



The Barbican Library was my first encounter with a public library in the United Kingdom. From the moment we stepped onto the second floor and stood in the lobby, I felt a sense of homecoming. Public Libraries are what I know, they are what I love. I am fascinated by every kind of library, but my current work is focused in this particular area. Outside in the lobby I immediately had to inspect the catalog computer, book drop, and fliers for library programs. They reminded me so much of home, and yet, they demonstrated the subtle differences of what other Library Systems offer their patrons. I was beyond ready to explore inside the Library.

Our tour guide Jonathon Gibbs, the IT and Operations manager didn't waste any time getting us going through the library. He gave us a background for the Library including how it is public lending library for the general public. One interesting fact out of many about this library is that it is located within the City of London which has its own set of rules. Within these rules I wanted to explore how this particular library compares to the public library I currently work in. I asked a high volume of questions, my curiosity getting the best of me. This is what I discovered.

The Barbican Library is located in the City of London. Before coming to London I had no idea that the City of London is governed separately. It is a city within a city if you will. The library is housed in the Barbican Art Center and has been open to the public since the center opened in 1982. It is one of 3 lending libraries in the City of London. The layout of the building creates a unique atmosphere because the floors that separate different portions of the center are not completely enclosed. When there are concerts the library is filled with the music. It's interesting because most people view a library as a quiet serene place. What I have found in my time working in one, and now visiting the Barbican, is that this expectation does not always fit very well with the activities and patronage of our facilities anymore. I was so excited to discover the similarities and differences between this location and my own branch.

The similarities made me feel almost like I was in some kind of alternate reality, one where I was in the British version of my current place of employment. Both libraries use self checkout technology, an Information desk rather than "Reference Desk", provide ebooks and audiobooks, digital magazines, and have similar organization schemes. The Dewey Decimal System is used for Non-fiction material while fiction is organized alphabetically by authors last name. Fiction material is also separated based on genre such as mystery, science fiction, and thriller. Both libraries provide internet access and printing to the public for a fee. Story times and children's programs are provided in a separate section at both facilities as well.

The differences were pretty minimal. The Barbican Library charges for DVD and CD checkouts whereas my library does not. Part of the non-fiction collection is separate from the dewey decimal classification because of the size. This was the third library I had been to that used that type of organization. The self check systems also have more capabilities than the ones used at my library. You can not only check items out, you have the option to make payments on the machines. Makerspace activities is not something the Barbican is participating in, but there is hope to incorporate this. It's mostly an issue of space and funding, as it is with so many libraries. One of the biggest differences is that the Barbican Library uses RFID, but like most things technological, it has its ups and downs. Despite the differences, I truly felt at home in this library and found it encouraging that despite an ocean between us, we have many of the same goals and practices.


No comments:

Post a Comment