Sunday 17 July 2016

Imperial War Museum

My visit to the Imperial War Museum was focused on collecting research about the organizations involvement in the preservation of information about American servicemen. Especially those serving in England during the two World Wars. I was able to make an appointment in the research room. My goal was to view the administrative records of the museum in terms of how the organization started and where they get the material to exhibit. When I originally searched the museum library catalog I focused my attention on artifacts relating to America and American servicemen during World War I and World War II. On the day of my appointment I was fortunate enough to be in the building at the same time as the museum archivist which was a true stroke of luck as the material I wanted to view was housed by the archives and generally needs a separate appointment. The archivist took the time to listen to what I was looking for and gathered material for me. She also made suggestions for material in the library next door. While she searched for papers pertaining to my requests, I went over to the library to view the Annual Reports of the museum.

In the library I was assisted by the librarian who located the reports and found me a table to work at. In the library you are not permitted to photograph the material. It was such an amazing find in terms of my research. The annual reports I was able to view were from the inception of the organization in 1917 through 1924. It was fascinating looking through the documentation of how and why the museum was created. I took copious notes for my research purposes which was wonderful, but even more so was the understanding I gained of how much value this organization placed on representing everyone who served or aided the war efforts whether they were from The United Kingdom or not. The annual reports included names of those on the administration, departments within the museum, lists of donations and where they came from, and statistics relating to the operations of the museum. The knowledge I gained from these bound volumes was priceless in terms of getting a true sense of the goals of the museum.

Once I returned to the research room I was greeted with a cart holding several boxes of archival material. I had purchased a photography pass earlier in my visit that would allow me to photograph the documents contained in the boxes. I was given one box at a time and able to look through the material at a work station. What I found when I took out the folders of papers surprised me. Inside was the correspondence between museum staff and various individuals from organizations discussing the loan or donation of material for the museum. Some of these organizations were United States Military, Embassy personnel, and individuals with information about ancestors who participated during wartime. In some cases there were multiple copies of the same document so it was difficult to know which one, if any, were the original. Despite that confusion, the information within the correspondence was completely preserved. It was my first experience conducting research with archival material. I could not be more grateful to the staff of the IWM library and archives. I came in not knowing entirely where to start and they helped guide me to the most useful information. It was an incredible experience and helped me build confidence as a researcher.

No comments:

Post a Comment